Way up in the North of Israel in the Western Galilee area are two Druze villages with a population of 7,100 residents. One Druze village is called Yanu’ach, and it holds 70% of the residents, while the other Druze village, Jat, holds the other 30%.
VFI first connected with the Yanu’ach-Jatlocal councila few months ago, when we installed safety shelters. However, since the Iron Swords War began, we have seen the continual tension and attacks on the Northern border of Israel.
During this time of war, two fighters from these Druze communities lost their lives. On October 9, 2023, the late Lt. Col. Elim Sa’ad, 40 years old, was killed in an encounter with terrorists as they infiltrated Israel on the Lebanese border. On November 2, 2023, the late Lt. Col. Salman Habkah, 33 years old, was killed in battle in the Gaza Strip.
The settlements near the border suffer from repeated terrorist attacks, and the defense team needs equipment to guard and protect the residents of the area in an emergency. When the head of the local council and the security officer of Yanu’ach-Jat asked us if we could help them with emergency equipment for their defense team, Vision for Israel responded by purchasing 40 ceramic vests, 40 helmets, 5 medic bags, two doctor/paramedic bags, 15 scanning lights, and 5 stretchers for their team.
At the beginning of the month, our team traveled to the village to deliver the equipment. In a dignified and impressive ceremony, the equipment was presented to the head of the council, Mr. Mo’adad (Modi) Sa’ad, the council's security officer Zaharan Nazal, officials in the council, and members of the defense team.
The head of the council gave a speech, in which he expressed his deep gratitude to Vision for Israel. He pointed out that a contribution to the Druze citizens is not taken for granted, welcomed VFI’s cooperation, and expressed a desire to preserve it.
Barry also shared about the meaning and importance of the courageous bond that exists between Jewish Israelis and members of the Druze community. He also explained VFI's vision to support every citizen who contributes to the State of Israel.
The Yanu’ach-Jat Council awarded Batya and Barry with a token of appreciation for their activity in protecting the village in a time of emergency. At the end of the ceremony, the head of the council led our team on a personal tour to a park dedicated to the memory of the fallen heroes.
VFI is honored to contribute to the defense of the Druze communities, whose residents serve the state of Israel with great dedication and courage to risk their lives for the security of us all.