As a working mother who values her time but also the health of her family, I always prefer to bake and cook at home—I like to know what’s in the food that enters my body. But when it comes to taste, I don’t compromise—and if a recipe looks like it has all the good and healthy ingredients, that’s even better. Enjoying this banana bread while it’s warm, with tea or coffee, is a delightful choice for any time of the day. Since it’s both easy to make and delicious, I make it often for Barry and my toddler grandson. Enjoy!
Makes 2 loaves
2 bananas, mashed
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. butter, melted (or peanut butter)
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp. date syrup (or molasses)
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
4 tbsp. quick oats
1/2 cup almond meal
2 tbsp. ground coconut (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
Chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
1. Mix all wet ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
3. Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until well blended.
4. Butter 2 loaf pans and pour batter into pans. You can top with chocolate chips or leave it plain.
5. Bake at 365°F/185°C for 30-40 minutes.
Variation: Try adding chunks of baked apple on the bottom of the pan before pouring the batter.