Fried Potato Latkes
Makes 25-30 small latkes
2 medium onions
4-5 potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons flour
Vegetable oil for semi-deep frying
- Finely chop the onion (or grate with a grater). Place in bowl.
- Peel the potatoes and grate on the large holes of a grater. Squeeze the grated potatoes between hands to get rid of as much liquid as possible and transfer to bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat enough oil in large frying pan to reach halfway up the latkes.
- Make patties out of the mixture and squeeze excess liquid out. Fry 4 patties at a time, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Adjust the heat as you go. Latkes should be golden, not brown.
- Serve with sour cream, apple sauce or any dipping sauce you like.
For those of you who are looking for a healthier version, here's a recipe for baked latkes:
Baked Potato Latkes
Makes about 14 latkes
3 medium potatoes
1-2 tablespoons oil, plus more for brushing the latkes
2 onions, finely chopped
3.5 oz. (100 gr.) fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
1 teaspoon soup powder (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil water in small saucepan, add salt and potatoes and cook until potatoes are soft. Mash potatoes and place in a bowl.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry onions and mushrooms until soft.
- Add onion-and-mushroom mixture to bowl with potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and make patties out of the mixture. Place on oiled parchment paper set on a baking sheet. Brush the tops of the latkes with a little more oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, turning latkes halfway through. Latkes are done when they are golden in colour.